Building and Contents Home Insurance – Do I Need It?


Home insurance covers you against unpredicted home losses such as theft, flooding, fire and explosions. Optional extras can also be added to your cover such as accidental damage, legal expenses and home emergency cover.

According to housing and homelessness charity Shelter, it’s been revealed that over a fifth (5.41 million) of households in the UK have no insurance protection in place. This is surprising considering that during the colder months of the year the weather can get considerably worse. People who opt out may think they are saving money in the short term, but in the long run, if something does happen like theft of items in the home or any structural damage. The financial cost may become considerably high and unaffordable.

Home insurance cover in the UK are mentioned below.

The three main types of home insurance covers are:

Building Insurance

This covers the structure of your home and will cover your walls, windows and roof. It will also cover permanent home fittings like baths and toilets. If a natural disaster does occur then most insurers will be unlikely to cover this. Buildings cover usually includes floods, storms and damage from falling trees. Make sure before you purchase the cover you read the policy throughout to avoid any nasty surprises!

Contents Insurance

This covers any damage or loss of any personal possessions that were located within the home. Possessions, mean anything that is not attached to the structure of the home permanently. The terms of the policy may differ, so read the policy carefully.

Combined Home Insurance

This will cover both content and building insurance.

Home Insurance is not compulsory. However, it is strongly advised to have cover in the event of structural damage or burglary. Prices of building and contents insurance vary depending on where you live.

Now that we have talked about what house insurance covers, we will display below what it does not cover:

What Does Building Insurance Not Cover?

Being aware of what you won’t be able to claim for is imperative. A common misconception is that building insurance will cover almost any damage. Policies will not cover certain situations and will have exclusions that will be displayed. The elements of mother nature like build up of frost damage, leaking gutters and insects, birds and pests will usually not be covered by the policy. If you have been away from your house for more than 30 – 60 days, insurers will not accept a claim for any loss or damage.

Make sure you check the excess of certain damages, they may be more costly than you thought.

What Does Contents Insurance Not Cover?

Contents Insurance will not cover the building structure, anything considered to be attached to the structure permanently. The Wear and Tear of any items inside the house will not be included. Any virus that has damaged a computer would not be considered covered under contents.

Optional Extras

Like discussed at the start of this article, the insurance company’s give you the option to add extra cover to your home insurance. These are accidental damage, legal expenses and home emergency cover. These will increase the price of your cover but are still valuable extras.

Accidental Damage Cover – This type of cover is an add-on to Building and Contents insurance. This will cost between £30 and £150 a year more on your premium. Accidental Damage Cover is unlikely to be included with home insurance but necessary. This cover if chosen will cover you for any accidental damage to the house. An example being, your kid smashing a window in the house. However, this will not cover any part of the house that has been damaged through wear and tear, nor does any home insurance. If you have pets, you must be made aware that any damage that has been caused by them will not be covered.

Legal Expenses – This cover not only covers legal matters involving your home but also provides you with the legal cover in your place of work, physical injury, employment disputes, contract disputes and more. Bear in mind that the cover does not involve any compensation you may have to pay as this is strictly legal costs. You may find that your insurer may not go forward with your legal cover if they don’t think that you will be successful.

Home Emergency Cover – This includes any home emergency like boiler breakdowns, burst pipes and anything else that is considered an emergency and has been underwritten on an insurer’s policy. If you choose this cover the insurer will provide you with a phone number to call if you have a home emergency, they will then arrange one of their tradesmen to come and fix the issue.

Also, bear in mind if your house has a high level of security, your premiums will be cheaper. Most home insurers will ask you questions about your house before they give you a quote. They may ask you if you have burglary alarms and what type of locks you have throughout your home. It is possible to be completely refused for having inadequate security measures. They will take into account where you live in the UK and may look at crime statistics in your area.

Always take into account how much excess the insurer will want when you claim on your insurance for your house. Every insurer has different policy’s, and it is paramount to make sure you read them before you purchase insurance.

Where To Purchase Home Insurance?

There are plenty of websites where you can get covered for home insurance. Insurers all have different policies and stipulations. So if you are taking this seriously, we advise you to put the time in to look at the whole policy of each one. MoneySuperMarket has been a popular choice for UK homeowners as the website does all the work of finding affordable insurance. All you need to do is make sure you compare and read the policies of each insurer. The cheaper options don’t always mean there is less coverage but it doesn’t mean it the best choice either.

MoneySuperMarket Insurance

Leave a Reply


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Notify of